Thursday, April 23, 2009

Trail is a GO!

Ok, so there has been some concern voiced over the width of the trails included in this expedition. most all the sites i found outlining any kind of travel were dual sport motorcycles trip logs. this concerned me. I just shot an email to Leonard Kerns from the Oregon off highway vehicle association:

my email:
"Hello,

I am planning an expedition from Southern California to Southern
Washington and was looking at traveling over the Oregon backcountry
discovery route. In my research of previous trips along this route,
I'm finding only reports from dual sport motorcycles. Is this road
suitable for a very well equipped midsized SUV (rear locker, lifted,
skilled driver, etc)? I would just like to make this clarification
before i drive nearly 1000 miles only to find it too narrow!

Thank you so much for your help, and I look forward to visiting
Oregon's amazing wilderness this summer!

-Sean Hamilton"

and his reply:
"Yes, any high clearance vehicle will make it. You are more the equipped to make it.

Leonard Kerns"

needless to say, I'm ecstatic!

i will be purchasing the maps from http://www.oohva.org/Back%20Country/BCDRRt5.html
also a selection of what ever AAA has to offer, and ill browse the book store to see what else i can find.

here is the plan now:

drive up 395, stay the night near carson city with a friend at his dads place.
head off from there and find the trailhead and get started. find a nice place to camp relatively early in the afternoon and make a good dinner and prepare for the next few days in the wilderness.

the return trip (several weeks later) will be down us101, visiting everyone i know along the way, and taking my time to see the sights along this route (too often im just in a hurry to get somewhere, and never have a chance to stop and enjoy the wonderful coast line!)

stay tuned for more updates in the coming days and weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment